Sunday, August 7, 2011

AARP not much help in realm of senior health


Q: Will I get health benefits by joining AARP?

A: I joined AARP long ago. I was impressed with its mission statement, which said that the organization was dedicated to enhancing quality of life for all as we age. It claimed to lead positive social change and deliver value to members through information, advocacy and service, listed in that order.

As physicians, we are aware that the elderly are considered a vulnerable group. They have fixed incomes that are often inadequate, chronic medical problems (physical and mental), declining cognitive function and social situations that make them susceptible to all sorts of scams. They are often the targets of “snake-oil” salesmen. We are all aware that AARP is a lobby and a special-interest group for the elderly — an organization that is supposed to look out for its members’ interests.

AARP has more than 40 million members, most of whom I suspect are true believers in its mission. Certainly, the health of its elderly members must be an important aspect of its mission and should be one of its priorities. The AARP magazine has one of the largest circulations of any magazine in the U.S.; this magazine and the AARP website provides health information to its readers. The size, scope and prestige of the AARP would appear to suggest to the often scientifically uninformed elderly, deeply concerned about their health, that the organization would provide them with the best, most reliable health information. Sadly, AARP fails their elderly members in this regard.

The AARP magazine often contains articles that suggest to their members a value to alternative medicine practices that such practices have not merited. These practices or therapies are unproven in rigid scientific studies or have not been duplicated or confirmed by other highly qualified researchers. These same practices may have, at times, shown some effectiveness in rats (non-human studies); can distract patients from effective, proven therapies; and waste their members' often limited financial resources. Such AARP magazine articles or website entries tread softly on the ultimate hoax — homeopathy; support ridiculous claims for foods and supplements that relieve pain; give the impression that acupuncture is more than just a placebo; support unlikely value for herbal remedies for boosting memory, arthritis, etc. Recently, the European Union banned hundreds of herbal remedies in an effort to protect consumers from potentially damaging “traditional” medicines.

Even more disturbing is the platform that the AARP magazine has given to Dr. Mehmet Oz. Oz is a popular, good-looking, likable cardiac surgeon from a respected medical institution. On occasion, he writes good articles dealing with health maintenance and disease prevention. However, to the scientific and academic medical community, his shows and many of his writings, promote pseudoscience and what many have called quackery. His shows feature individuals who practice highly dubious practices, faith healers and even psychic scammer John Edward, who claims that he can speak with departed loved ones — just what AARP members need. Oz’s embrace of unusual products for health and anti-aging benefits are usually premature and best reserved for mice studies. Neither he nor his products will usually benefit AARP members.

One has to wonder whether AARP has lost its focus. Recently, Congress accused AARP of abusing its tax-exempt, nonprofit status. It has become a big business (more than $1.4 billion in revenue in 2009), actively recruiting members even at age 50, which most people wouldn’t categorize as elderly. Its CEO's executive compensation package is $1.6 million and it supports payouts of $14 million, over the next three years, to sponsor NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon.

Article Source: http://www.chieftain.com/life/local/aarp-not-much-help-in-realm-of-senior-health/article_35642616-bfba-11e0-b52c-001cc4c002e0.html

4 comments:

  1. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like,HIV,Epilepsy Infertility, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover. Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone I’m precious and I’m here to testify about @DrOseghaleHerbalMedication. He helped me cure Herpes diseases that almost had my life. He’s reliable and fast
    Contact him now +2347062814871

    ReplyDelete

  3. Good New Everyone !! I'm here to testify about Dr Oseghale Sunday, I was suffering from Herpes Simplex Virus for about 4 years and I was cured by Dr Oseghale Sunday's Herbal Medicine, He sent me the medicine through DHL, I got the medicine and He instructed me on how I'm going to take the medicine, He asked me to drink for 14days which was 2weeks and I did according to his instructions, that was how I got Rid of Herpes Simplex Virus permanently, You can also contact him to get HIV/AIDS medicine by calling him or texting him on WhatsApp through this number +2347062814871 or Kindly Email him directly on; oseghalesunday07@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative, because it compresses most of the information needed and I already have known that, the best solution to Paralysis is herbal medicines. My family and I are proof to this including Rex my friend.
    I came to trust Nze Njoku Herbal Home after many months that, they have healed my friend from Pain and Arthritis without any aftereffect.
    So I also contacted Nze Njoku for herbal treatment for my father who have suffered paralysis for 6years.
    My father took this herbal medicine from Nze Njoku Herbal Home without any lifestyle change which healed him of paralysis within 4weeks.
    As I write this my father is doing great on his feet and most importantly he has started his business effectively as if nothing happened to him.
    Feel free to contact him on;
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete